Hi AMWA members!
I hope everyone is doing well. Please read below for several important updates!
1. Student Association Fair. Join us on Thursday, September 27th at 1 PM for the student association fair! We are looking for 2 volunteers to represent AMWA at the table. Let me know if you would like to participate. Please wear your AMWA T-shirt.
2. Mentorship Program. Region 5 is launching a mentorship program to connect a medical student mentor with a pre-medical student mentee based on shared interests. We all remember how stressful undergrad was, from deciding on medicine to taking the MCAT and applying to medical school. It's our hope we can create fruitful relationships for both mentors and mentees. This program is open to all medical and pre-medical students in Region 5, which includes AL, LA, MS, TN, PR, and international programs. The deadline to apply is October 5th, and pairing determinations will be sent out October 19th.
Sign up here:
3. Membership Discount. Through October 31st, medical student national AMWA membership for all 4 years is $50 instead of $75 at https://www.amwa-doc.org/membership-registration/. Spread the word to your friends and classmates!
4. Region 5 Conference. The second ever Region 5 Conference will be Friday, February 15th and Saturday, February 16th, 2019 at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). If you are interested go ahead and mark your calendars, and I'll keep you updated as more details emerge. It's going to be an awesome opportunity to network with AMWA members (pre-medical students, medical students, residents, and attendings) from other schools, present research, and hear from guest speakers.
5. AMWA Medical Student Hosting Program. The AMWA Student Hosting Program provides 4th year medical student members on the residency interviewing trail with the opportunity to stay with local women physicians, resident-physicians, and medical students. This helps to defray the costs of interviewing, and also allows for students to meet physicians and physicians-in-training who are part of the community surrounding their potential residency program. You must be a national member to participate. For more info about requesting a host or being a host visit https://www.amwa-doc.org/students/membership-benefits-for-students/student-hosting-program/.
Thanks for reading. Let me know if you have questions!